Bring a little sunshine and zest to your rainy afternoons with this scrummy, yummy salad packed with flavour and goodness. Or have it in the summer to accompany a BBQ or on its own for a simple lunch. Its not expensive (I got most of my ingredients from a well renowned no-frills German supermarket) and is super easy to make!
Zesty Vegan Salad
- 2 large handfuls of (washed) kale, roughly chopped.
- Pomegranate seeds (I use a whole pomegranate – but you may only want half)
- 1/2 cup of mixed sunflower and pumpkin seeds
- 1 large avocado – remove stone and skin and chop into small bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium carrot – grated
- 1 small courgette – grated
- 1/4 cup of diced cucumber
- 2 stalks of spring onion – washed and roughly chopped
- 5-6 leaves of basil – tear up by hand
- 2 tablespoons of crunchy peanut butter
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons of walnut oil (or any other nut oil like almond, groundnut or hazelnut)
- 1tsp of soy sauce – check that it is gluten free
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp of sweet syrup (fruit syrup or agave or even honey if you like)
- 1-2 tsp of chopped chili for a little kick! (do this to your preference)
- Jam jar (clean!) and lid
- Put all the salad base ingredients in a large bowl and set aside
- Add all the dressing ingredients into the jam jar and shake it all up real good!
- Smother the base ingredients with the dressing the salad… the longer it marinates the better.
- Serve on its own with a big dollop of hummus,
- serve in a pitta (gluten free if you like) with hummus, falafel and sweet chilli sauce,
- serve with baked sweet potato or with sweet potato fries,
- serve with grilled halloumi if you are a vegetarian
- or (if you are feeling generous) share with your meat/fish eating friends and family. Perhaps they would enjoy some of this delicious salad with grilled white fish or chicken 😉
Hope you enjoy this simple and delicious salad and I would love to hear your feedback!
Up next I will do a post on a couple of my vegan breakfasts including my overnight vegan z-oats, chia pudding and banana pancakes – all gluten free of course!
I am also hoping to do a review of vegan, vegetarian and gluten free cafes and restaurants in my area (Surrey and Hampshire) following a request for recommendations recently on Instagram. Any places you feel might be worth a look please share in the comments below 🙂
Love, Emma (aka The Wholesome Bride) xxx